Monday, September 29, 2014

Demi Lovato - Skyscraper (Interview with Cosmopolitan Magazine)

Demi has returned to Cosmopolitan Magazine to discuss her brand new single "Skyscraper"

Q: When was the song recorded and released
A: "we recorded the song twice, once before i went to rehab and once after, it just felt right to use the original recording, the song meant more to me at the time and all my true emotions were portrayed when i first recorded it"
Q: Could you describe to us all why you were in rehab? Also at an interview with Ryan Seacrest you described this release as a "cry for help", could you elaborate on that?
A: "it was a very difficult time for me, i was battling depression, anorexia and bulimia, people just find ways to put me down, i guess it comes with the fame, people pay more attention to everything, my scars from self harm were noticed, and of course criticised me for it, as was my body, i felt horrible about myself and was looking for any ways to change that. i remember going through the comments people had on my music videos and photo-shoots, calling out every flaw they could find, i tried to diet and exercise i just naturally do not have a high metabolism, so i resorted to other methods which had horrible outcomes."
Q: Why self harm?
A: "its a question thats asked a lot, many people do not understand it. its one of those things that you cant fully understand unless you've experienced yourself, which i should hope never happens. I just used it as a way to deal with everything. i could not control what happened on the inside, so i took control of myself on the outside."
Q: Do you regret resorting to such extreme methods to improve your body?
A: "this is going to sound a little bit odd, but no in face i do not, i'm not saying id like to go through it again obviously, i just think that i wouldn't be the person i am today if not been through it all, the eating disorders, the rehab.. all of it."
Q: Can you describe to us all the true definition behind the song 'Skyscraper'?
A: "first off ill start with this line that not many people quite understood, when i said 'run run run, i'm gonna stay right here, watch you disappear' i was referring to all the nasty people in the world who were judging me, also to the voices in my head that were making me do things that hurt me, i'm saying that i could rise above and ignore them all, which i did."
"and of course most importantly 'skyscraper', obviously we all know, a sky scraper is a large building, usually higher than most, the skyscraper is a representation of myself, i started off low, rock bottom, if you will, but i rose above it all, and defining myself as a skyscraper just explains my position when everything was bad to when it all got better, I've just rose above all the bad things."
Q: Do you have any advice for anyone battling any mental disorders or anything similar to your previous situation?
A: "when things get bad, its okay to ask for help, i hope that none of you have to go through what i went through, and i hope that no one feels as alone as i did to the point that they would harm themselves in any way. If you need it, ask for  help. Also if you do not like the way you look you always have to remember that theres always going to be someone who doesn't like you, or doesn't like what you look like, someone will always have something to say and i can honestly say no one is perfect, and no one can be perfect, but you don't need to prove yourself to anyone, as long as you love yourself you will be happy with your life."
 -657 words

Demi before and after her eating disorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment