Monday, May 11, 2015

Why Thinks Fell Apart

If I could re-do it all I would, but I cannot go back now, the damage has been done. I should’ve taken action earlier before it all got too messed up, now everything has fallen apart beyond repair. I should have known the moment the white people came into our territory and began changing everything that they were going to be our downfall. I should’ve known that although the Christians were accepting of all people and have opened the doors to many opportunities for the people in Umofia, that they still had an agenda. Just as the famous quote by Jomo Kenyatta goes “When the missionaries came, the Africans had the land and the Christians had the Bible. They taught us to pray with our eyes closed.
When we opened them they had the land and we had the Bible”
The missionaries have deceived us by enforcing Christianity when in reality all they wanted was to take over and destroy our homeland.
I should have listened to Okonkwo, my best friend. For he was able to see the true strategy of the missionaries. For ignoring him and disregarding his thoughts on rebellion is in fact one of my greatest regrets, for all along he was right, and had I stood by him and supported him maybe things would have turned out differently.
However I was deceived and I ignored Okonkwo, which led him to kill himself, and led the missionaries destroy the core of Umofia, its Ibo culture and traditions. Besides with the destruction of the core, everything around it must fall apart.

-Obierika

No comments:

Post a Comment